Sunday, April 17, 2011

Face Value


My family is defined by strong women. From my 100 year-old great-grandmother to my five year old bossypants, we’ve learned how to adapt and flourish in most any given situation. That said, we are far from perfect. I am fairly convinced that I could solve the nation’s budget crisis and/or avert a global disaster, and they would still look at me and say – “That’s nice, but you look like you’re carrying a little extra weight.” They’ll probably temper that by saying something like, “It’s not a big deal. It’s really only at your hips. Oh, you’ll lose that in no time.” My response to this kind of thing is typically, “Look in the mirror, fatty. It’s your genetics I’m dealing with. Thanks a bunch.” (Ah, we ‘re kidders.) This kind of criticism doesn’t come from a spiteful place, and I’m sure they think this is beneficial to some degree. However, I know the male members of my family never have to endure it, and it is endlessly frustrating that my aesthetic qualities trump all else.


One benefit of the family is that the criticism will be given to you outright. As for female friends, it will likely be discussed at length after you’ve departed. I hate this about women. This mentality creates an unspoken competition between friends that I’ve observed in my own experience and seen through watching other people - mainly my three sisters. You almost can’t avoid being involved, despite the fact that you hate it. (Although, there are some truly base characters out there who thrive on this.) The fascinating, or diabolical, offshoot of this dynamic is the evolution of a market based entirely on female insecurity. The level of intricacy involved in beauty treatments now is overwhelming. You can be sugared, waxed, threaded, plucked, steamed . . . the list is endless and ever-growing. (And often obscenely painful.) Grab any fashion magazine and open to the section on beauty products. If you’re like me, you’ll feel lost. I actually recall reading a short how-to on applying self-tanner and bronzing your fingers – you know, so it blends in with the rest of your body. Every miniscule aspect of the female body is criticized, and a whole industry is capitalizing on this criticism and the behaviors that stem from it. For a hilariously perfect encapsulation of this, I suggest you watch the below:




Not so long ago, I read an interview with Angelina Jolie in which she talked about the time she felt most beautiful in her life. She described being in Africa. She had to shave her head for a film, and so fussing with her hair was of no concern. Her time there was spent with no makeup, clothes worn only because they were comfortable in the heat, and with no one to impress. Perhaps similarly, I remember sitting in the bus on the way home from soccer games in high school - dripping with sweat, hair pulled back haphazardly, dirty, and often a little bruised. (I took great pride in my bigger bruises.) It was such a great feeling. I knew that no one on that bus gave a damn how I looked and I didn’t care that they looked equally as disheveled. That’s probably the last time in my life I felt like that. Now, it’s all smoke and mirrors.


I recently had to give a presentation and this involved getting all prettied up – I even blow-dried my hair. (If your hair is as thick as mine, you can understand why this is such a feat.) I knew this probably wouldn’t happen again for the next two months. If all goes as planned, I’ll walk away from here graduating (with honors, likely) and hopefully in time, a published paper or two. I know I should feel pleased having done this and taken care of my daughter and her various needs. And I will feel pleased. But I’d be lying if I said that the female sniping that will surely come my way when I come back a little worse for the wear as far as my outward appearance goes – won’t diminish that slightly.


I’ve never eavesdropped on a male conversation. If I had to guess what the guys talk about, I would venture to guess it involved sports, hot women, and . . . yeah, I’ve got nothing else there. I can’t imagine one man walking away from a table, while the other parties start talking like, “Hey, is it just me or is he looking a little rough? Like, what’s up with those bags under his eyes? And somebody’s totally been skipping the gym.” Further, I’m pretty sure the discussion of hot girls doesn’t involve “That girl has the best eyebrows I’ve ever seen.” Or, “she looks like she exfoliates.”


I’m not planning to Jolie-out and shave my head anytime soon, but I really need a break from this. Criticize me at your own risk.

7 comments:

  1. I totally get this...and my response to you is...drum roll...screw them! It is impossible to manage what you are doing and still have time to starve yourself, diet, get pedicures, Botox, or whatever these people do to maintain that "perfect" body image. In the middle of law school while working full-time and managing various family crises, etc etc I went home to DC for a reunion of friends that we so once a year. One of my really, really good male friends had picked up a new (20 year old) girlfriend in the year that had past since our last meeting and we had a conversation that went something like this: ME: OMG I am so tired of this schedule! I have no time for myself and have gained 20 lbs and I dint have time to exercise or do anything for myself. I leave the house at 7:45 am and get home at 9:30pm...by the time I get there all I want to do is have a glass of wine to calm down and chill out and then go to bed and do it all over again.
    HER: (mind you this was the first time we met) whatever Tammie, I don't believe you...I mean you could find 20 minutes every day to exercise if you really wanted to.
    I swear it took every once of my being to withhold the ghetto force of the old Tammie Coppinger not to punch her in the face at that moment. Point is, people don't understand unless they have been through it. And if they don't understand it then who cares. Because the sacrifices you are making will be worth it. No one can ever take your education from you. You have earned it and will have it forever. Some people are just born ugly...inside and out. But you are beautiful. And can always lose weight. Not everyone can lose their ugly face or worse...their ugly hearts. :-) and by the way...I'm still carrying that 20 lbs from law school. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops. Sorry about the typos...using my phone :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is pretty maddening. I can't believe Dove is trying to make women worry over their armpit appearance! People will stop at nothing to make a buck.

    Ironically, I'm the smallest woman in my family of mostly obese women. Well, my mom was petite in her younger days and she's still not large, but 2 kids can be tough on your body over time. I've always been small and I can only guess that I have an overactive metabolism (or maybe some genetics on my biological father's side that come into play). I, too, have to deal with remarks from some older women in the family, but it's strangely opposite from what you describe; instead, they wonder why I'm not fatter like them. As you mention, it's usually in a joking manner. It starts with, "Oh, you're so skinny! When are you going to get fat like the rest of us?," like being overweight is normal (i know that's another topic entirely). Then someone will say, "Oh, just wait until you have kids. You won't be skinny anymore." Yeah, great encouragement. Everyone seems to have forgotten that I'm the ONLY person in the entire family to graduate college, and one of the few that didn't have kids before marriage. So, it seems that women get criticized no matter what. It's funny you wrote this today because I just spent some time shopping with my Mom. She wanted to find a dress for Easter. Everything she looked at, or that I suggested, she rejected. It was sleeveless and would expose her surgery scar under her arm; it was too low-cut in the front; it was too short and her legs don't look good anymore; it would make her look fatter; etc. etc.

    The nice part about going to an all-women's college was not having to physically impress anyone. Sure, there were the groups that dressed up everyday and judged everyone else, but for the most part, nobody cared. I hardly ever wore makeup or fixed my hair, which is glaringly apparent in my yearbook photos. I didn't care if my clothes matched and honestly, I didn't really have time to worry about my looks. But alas, now I do find myself falling victim to the hype sometimes, although, I enjoy getting dolled-up every once in a while. Oh, and I spent a weekend at the beach with my husband and some guy friends once; you should give them just a little bit more credit, but yeah, hot women was the predominant subject. ;) (and I promise I'm not trying to write a blog within your blog here).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tammie, I can tell you this: I would never want to get on your bad side, and I mean that as a compliment. You're right. A lot of this stems from a lack of understanding. I am the first person in my family to finish a four-year degree (in 3.5 years) right out of high school not spread out over decades. I don't think this makes me better than anyone else, but it's clear we value different things. Or, at least I value things differently from the ladies in my family. As for women my own age, I agree. Right now, screw it.

    Andrea, I do give the men more credit than it seems. I think I actually have more male friends than female friends. In high school, I hung out with boys almost all the time. I just don't know what they talk about when left to their own devices. Not sure I want to. :) I considered going to an all female college. Given the way my life was in an uproar when I started college, this might have been a good thing for me. This whole dynamic really factors into how I treat Ainsley. Everything I do, she absorbs. One time I caught her standing with her back to the mirror, swiveling her head around trying to look at her backside. (Yeah, that's my fault, fo' sho.) Family can strengthen you, and it can also keep you down. I certainly don't need to be instilling insecurities in this little child, but it's hard to keep your own under wraps. Especially when your faults are pointed out so frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who are these family members that are commenting about your weight? Also, Aaron and I technically finished our degree in 3.5 years (just a useless piece of information). I'm curious to know who's being so mean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeanna -

    I said I was the first, not the only. :) More a comparison of older family members. No one is being mean, per se. Like I said, we value different things and from family - they think it comes from a good place. This didn't come from one particular instance. Just a general thought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First off, what is being "sugared". I just have this image in my head of women being rolled in sugar. Second off, while you are spot on that men's conversations rarely revolve around critiques of other men's appearances I will say there is most definitely two exceptions that immediately come to mind, weight and clothes. I have heard many men bashing other guys for being too fat or wearing clothes that were not in fashion. In general, however, these conversations are more rare among men, I would agree. Also, I would like to point out not all men are limited to discussions of sports and women. I had many great conversations about politics, religion and philosophy while in college. However, it did always seem like somebody interrupted those conversations to ask us why we were not talking about women and sports, so maybe you are not that far off in regards to many men.

    ReplyDelete